Hotel versus homestay – Knowing the difference
You are going on holiday or decided to travel for a while. When it comes to accommodation, there are so many options that you can choose from. You can choose between a hotel, a bed, and breakfast, a resort and even consider homestay. The thing is that so many people forget about the homestay option, or they don’t really know what this actually means.
This is why it is important to make sure that you know the difference between a hotel and homestay. Making a decision about your accommodation will be easier then.
Knowing what is a homestay
Not many people have heard about homestay as your accommodation option. And, this is why so many people don’t choose this option.
Homestay is similar to a bed and breakfast. There is one huge difference. This isn’t a place where lots of people are staying. This is just you staying with a local family at their home. Making use of their facilities and eating with them as a family. Before you choose a homestay as your accommodation option, there are a couple of things about it that you should know first.
What are the differences between a hotel and homestay?
When you are staying at a hotel, you will have the choice to stay in an affordable 4-star hotel or in a luxurious 5-star hotel that is serving high-quality food and where you can enjoy a large variety of amenities. You might not have at a homestay.
Because you are staying with a family in their house, you will not have the option to eat five-star food, or even have a variety of amenities that you can enjoy. If the family has the same amenities as a hotel, you are going to pay high prices. The basic difference between a hotel and homestay is that at a hotel you are going to be private and enjoy a vacation atmosphere. At a homestay, you are not going to be private and you will need to interact with the family.
Reasons why you should choose a homestay over a hotel
When you first think about the difference between a homestay and a hotel, you might want to choose the hotel. This is the most popular option for most people. To live with someone that you don’t know, might not be something that you want to consider. However, there are many reasons why you should choose a homestay over a hotel, especially when you are traveling alone, and staying for a long period in one place.
- You will get a home cooked meal, each and every day. Food that the locals are eating every day. And, you can ask what you are eating if this is a foreign dish.
- Homestays are always a lot cheaper than booking at a hotel. Especially, if you are going to have an extended stay.
- You will be able to financially assist the family. Many families are doing this for an extra income, and you can assist them with it.
- You might make friends that you will remember or keep in contact with, for a very long time.
- When you are traveling alone, you will not feel as lonely as when you are staying in a hotel.
Advantages and disadvantages of staying in a homestay when on holiday
Besides the reasons why you should consider homestay over a hotel, there are many other advantages and disadvantages that you should consider as well. You need to make sure that you are making the right decision. This is because not many people are going to be comfortable staying with a strange family. These are some of the advantages and disadvantages of choosing this as your accommodation option.
Advantages of homestay
- If you want to learn more about the culture, then this is a great accommodation option for you to choose.
- This is a much cheaper option if you are traveling alone, and looking for cheaper accommodation options.
- You will be able to have a private tour guide that will show you all the attractions in the area. And, you won’t pay a cent for it.
- It is a great option if you are going to have an extended stay at one place, for example for further studies or for work related traveling.
Disadvantages of homestay
- Not everyone will feel comfortable with staying with people that they don’t know.
- Some people are looking for privacy.
- It might be a small home, where you need to share a bathroom with more than one person
- You should consider the other people in the house. Can’t stay out late, or leave really early for an adventurous day.
How to choose if you should stay at a hotel or at a homestay
When you are wondering if you should stay at the hotel or consider homestay, there is a couple of info that you should consider.
Are you prepared to share everything in the home and not to have any privacy? If your budget is limited then homestay might be a good option.
There are people that are looking for a local experience. Not staying at the best hotels, but to really become a local. Homestay is then something that you should consider. You will interact with a local, eat local food and even stay between locals. This will be the best option to learn as much about the country as possible. But, if you are on holiday and what a luxurious stay with amenities and different food options, then a hotel might be your best bet.
Do you choose a hotel or homestay as an accommodation option when you are traveling abroad? Too many people don’t know what homestay is and this can cause them to miss out on a great experience. You should make sure that you know what the difference is between a hotel and a homestay. This is the only way that you can make sure that you are going to get the best option for you, personally. A homestay is a great option if you are traveling alone and if you are on a tight budget. You will be surprised about the experience you will get from a homestay accommodation over a hotel stay.